If the University is paying my tuition and part of my fees, can I still claim the Tuition and Fees deduction on my 1040?

More specifically, can I claim one or the other or both?

I looked at Form 8917, but the instructions did not say anything about my situation.

2 Answers 2


If the university pays your fees directly, you can't claim the deduction, but on the plus side it means that money is not taxable income for you. If they pay you money (in the form of a stipend, etc.) and you use that to pay your fees yourself, then it is taxable income for you, but you can deduct your tuition expenses.

What you can't do is double-dip and try to get both. If they pay your tuition, they paid it, so you can't deduct it.


Of course not. You cannot claim something you didn't pay.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .