I am confused by this field. Should I enter the company that actually issued the dividend or my broker's name?


You should enter the name of the company that issued you the 1099-DIV, so the broker. If you look at 1040 Schedule B, which is why TurboTax is asking, you'll see the instructions along the left say: "If you received a Form 1099-DIV or substitute statement from a brokerage firm, list the firm’s name as the payer and enter the ordinary dividends shown on that form." http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sb.pdf

Note that the payer name should not affect your taxable income or tax due. The IRS primarily cares about the total dollars, which should be reflected on page 1 of Form 1040.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.