I'm an independent contractor attempting to figure my estimated tax payments for 2014, and I have the following situation: I'm getting married in June and plan to file jointly for 2014. Will my new father-in-law still be able to file with my wife as a dependent if I do file jointly?

I don't want to take away from his cut in taxes, as he will have supported her almost entirely up until I take over in June.

1 Answer 1


In order for her father to claim your wife as a dependent, she must only be filing a joint return with you to recoup any witholding that she had.

Joint Return Test

You generally cannot claim a married person as a dependent if he or she files a joint return.

Exception. You can claim an exemption for a person who files a joint return if that person and his or her spouse file the joint return only to claim a refund of income tax withheld or estimated tax paid.

From Publication 17

Since you will be married to her on the last day of the year, you are considered married for that entire tax year.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .