I am an 18 year old full-time college student. I only work during the summer months. I am the beneficiary of an Inherited CD in the amount of $10,000.00. I would like to invest in something that has a better return than a CD or IRA. Any suggestions? I can tie this up for a long term if necessary. Thank you

  • That profile pic makes me doubt the 18-year old college student qualification. :)
    – JohnFx
    Feb 6, 2014 at 17:07
  • IRA can be invested many ways that meet differing risk profiles... Feb 6, 2014 at 18:05

1 Answer 1


If you are earning a salary, go for Roth IRA. You can contribute $5500 (2013 limits) every year . Once you open a account , let say Fidelity or Vanguard, you should invest based on risk appetite into some funds.

the advantage is that your money grows tax free and when you are 25- 30 years old and need money for down payment of house, you can pull the money out with out any penalty.

The gains you have made will continue to be in that account till the time your retire, growing every year.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.