I have an unconditional offer to go to University from September 2013. However, when I was looking at the finance side of it, I found that EU students (so people from a country in the European Union but outside the UK) can't get maintenance loans. I'm not sure if I count as an EU student, though. I have a german passport, but I've lived in the UK for 15 years now (I'm 18). Can I get a maintenance loan, or if not, could I apply for a British passport and then get one?


Looking at https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies, it says:

You can only apply if:

  • you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
  • you normally live in England
  • you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course

As you meet all three requirements I think you are counted as a English student in every respect. I would advise applying as soon as possible though to verify this.

EDIT: also, getting a British passport anyway might not hurt; it makes sense as you've spent almost all your life here, and it would insulate you against any issues that might arise if Britain ends up leaving the EU.

  • Glad to hear it - do check as soon as you can in case there's some hidden gotcha, though. Jan 26 '14 at 17:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.