I'm on an F1 visa, and I did a paid internship for 7 months. My gross earnings was around $27K, and ~$4K was withheld for taxes.

On my pay stub, I see records for:

  • Federal Income tax,
  • California State Income tax,
  • California State DI tax.

What is the approximate amount I can expect for a refund, and how should I file?

  • 2
    Don't they have a GLACIER account available for you at school? Check with the international students' office. online-tax.net
    – littleadv
    Commented Jan 16, 2014 at 9:04
  • 1
    I'm not sure about yours but GLACIER told me that I need to look for other ways to file state tax reports. They only do the fed.
    – Domi
    Commented Mar 19, 2014 at 10:05

1 Answer 1


The best way to estimate taxes is SnapTax by Intuit. Although it files with TurboTax, which does not support F1 tax filing, you may want to enter your details just to see how much you could expect as a return – just don't file your taxes with it.

  • Except that F1 on internship will likely be cover by a treaty if one exist and not pay taxes, or pay very little. Calculating as resident will provide a significantly skewed answer.
    – littleadv
    Commented Jan 16, 2014 at 17:14
  • TurboTax does support F1 tax filing.
    – dacongy
    Commented Jan 21, 2014 at 23:51
  • @dacongy: it does not support the 1040NR-EZ form that F1 students have to fill. ttlc.intuit.com/questions/…
    – gsb
    Commented Jan 22, 2014 at 17:01
  • Looks like a great app. For some retarded reason, it cannot be installed in a foreign country though (I was in the US and now need to file from outside the US).
    – Domi
    Commented Mar 19, 2014 at 10:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .