I am single, and make more money (more than $200k) than any of the limits I've seen for contributions or deductions for either Roth or traditional IRAs. My employer has a 401k plan.

I currently do not have an IRA (other than a rollover IRA from my 401k from a previous employer). I do have a 401k with my current employer.

Given this info, am I permitted to open and contribute anything to either kind of IRA? The way I am reading things:

  1. I cannot contribute to a Roth IRA
  2. I cannot deduct contributions to a traditional IRA, but I can contribute up to $5500 (post-tax)

Is this correct? If so, is there any reason to contribute to a traditional IRA? Are there other retirement options (besides my existing 401k) for someone with my salary?

  • Did you check whether your employer's 401(k) plan offers a traditional post-tax contribution option? This kind of post-tax contribution pre-dates the Roth option and is still available in some plans. Your traditional post-tax contributions wouldn't be limited by the $17,500 limit. Rather, there's a combined limit of $51,000 (in 2014) for employee pre-tax, Roth, traditional post-tax, & employer contributions. While you wouldn't get a tax deduction for traditional post-tax contributions, earnings on that money would benefit from tax deferral, and the post-tax basis can be withdrawn tax-free. – Chris W. Rea Jan 8 '14 at 20:50
  • Here's a link with more information on the traditional post-tax option ... Quote: "Section 415(c)(1)(A) limits total contributions to defined contribution plans to $50,000 in 2012. The limit for an after-tax 401k is the difference between the amount already contributed by the employer and employee, and the Section 415 limit." – Chris W. Rea Jan 8 '14 at 20:52
  • (p.s. I suggest you check your 401(k)'s summary plan description document for a definitive answer.) – Chris W. Rea Jan 8 '14 at 20:56

Does your current 401(k) have low fees and good investment choices? If so you might be able to "roll-in" your rollover IRA to your 401(k), then do a backdoor Roth IRA contribution. A Roth IRA would be far more useful than a non-deductible traditional IRA.


"I currently do not have an IRA (other than a rollover IRA from my 401k from a previous employer)" The source is irrelevant. You have an IRA. The reason to keep contributing is that at some point, you might transfer the pretax dollars into a 401(k) and the post tax dollars can be converted to Roth.

Other than the above, investing in a standard brokerage account (a non-retirement account) has its positives. Gains can see long term cap gain treatment, and the assets see a step-up in basis when you die.

  • IMHO, "post-tax" is ambiguous. Did you specifically mean a plain investment account with a broker or mutual fund dealer? The mention of capital gains seems to imply so. FWIW, when I see "post tax", my brain also wants to think about the traditional post-tax contribution option available in some (but not all) employer 401(k) plans, and Roth-type accounts. – Chris W. Rea Jan 8 '14 at 20:44
  • Edited to correct. Agreed, Roth is post tax, as is non-deducted IRA. Bad choice of words. – JTP - Apologise to Monica Jan 8 '14 at 20:59
  • No problem. Did get me thinking about whether the OP considered if his 401(k) plan allows traditional (non-Roth) post-tax contributions. Sometimes an option. Higher limit. – Chris W. Rea Jan 8 '14 at 21:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.