A 401k account with pre-tax and post-tax funds at Institution A is rolled over as one lump sum into a new Traditional IRA at Institution B. The funds are commingled at this point. The funds will next be rolled over into a new Roth IRA at Institution B, which was the original intent. Institution A has an amount breakdown of how much is pre-taxed and post-taxed.

  • Once the funds are rolled over into the Roth IRA, is there a way to inform the IRS that a potion is already post-taxed money? I do not want to be double taxed on the post-taxed money.

  • I understand I will have to pay income taxes on the pre-taxed funds, but are there other tax consequences for handling the funds in this manner?

  • There is a lot of overlap between this question and this fairly recent other one Oct 20 '13 at 1:22
  • @Dilip it looks more like a follow up than an overlap
    – littleadv
    Oct 20 '13 at 3:12
  • @DilipSarwate: that one asks about Traditional and Roth. This one asks about pre-tax and post-tax (presumably in Traditional)
    – user102008
    Oct 20 '13 at 6:36

There are several things to remember and keep in mind:

  1. Pre-tax contributions and Roth contributions cannot be commingled. It may be that your contributions were "post-tax" yet not designated as Roth, or it might be that your plan administrator made a horrible mistake. If its the former - lets go to the next bullet, otherwise start calling your plan administrator and have it fixed - roll over the Roth part to Roth IRA, and non-Roth part to the Traditional.

  2. Assuming the whole amount is non-Roth - the "post-tax" portion was not deducted from taxes, and thus is basis to your balance. I.e.: If you contributed 1K post tax, 1K pre-tax, and you have 8K gain (on everything), your total is 10K, and your basis is 1K. This is important to remember for IRA Roth conversion.

  3. Roth conversion: you pay taxes on all the non-taxed (above basis) amounts per your ordinary income rates. It is added, in essence, to your salary. What does it mean "above basis"? Remember the example from the previous bullet - total 10K that include all contributions and gains, and 1K basis (the amount you contributed post-tax). You pay tax on the 9K (10K total - 1K basis). So rolling over your whole balance and converting it to Roth may be quite a tax hit.

  4. Be careful of too many roll-overs - you cannot rollover more than once a year. Generally, "rolling over" from a traditional to Roth IRA is considered a "conversion", not roll-over, but check with the IRA custodian how they're going to report this. If the IRA A and IRA B are not at the same custodian, it will probably be reported as another - second - roll over. So be careful here.

Here we see the difference between "post-tax" contribution and "Roth" contribution. While seemingly they're the same, the big difference is the treatment of gains. For the "regular but post-tax", gains are considered as if it was a "regular" contribution, and are taxed on Roth conversion. For Roth contributions - the gains are considered Roth as well.

So if you want to do "post-tax" contributions - always do Roth, otherwise you're kindof missing the point....

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.