We get receipts from our child care provider. Can we still claim a tax benefit even though they're not licensed?

[Note: This is my paraphrased version of a similar question I answered at moms4mom.com.]


Licensing wouldn't be related to whether you could use the caregiver's receipts as tax-deductions.

The IRS has a page worth checking out: Top Ten Facts About the Child and Dependent Care Credit, as well as Publication 503: Child and Dependent Care Expenses (PDF). Specifically check out the section "Provider Identification Test" in Publication 503; it's relevant.

The amount you're deducting for child care needs to be for a "qualified person", e.g. a dependent child under age 13, per the IRS, but the caregiver – as far as the IRS is concerned – need not be specially qualified to provide child care. However, the caregiver can't also be a dependent (e.g. your spouse or another child.) See the resources above for details.

Licensing is likely enforced at a municipal or state level, separate from the tax code, and I imagine would be more concerned with the qualifications and conditions of the child care business operator.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.