I am a US citizen living in Germany and I want to open a portfolio account in the US. I use my sister's US address as my mailing address. Can this also serve as my permanent US address (which, I'm told, is required to open the account)?

  • Which address(es) do you use to file your US taxes? I assume the portfolio account you're looking to open is a brokerage and/or bank account, right? – John Bensin Sep 1 '13 at 19:51
  • I think this is going to revolve around whether you are 'temporarily' living abroad or whether you have moved abroad permanently. – DJClayworth Sep 2 '13 at 15:24

I would argue that you can. Being a US citizen, you're taxed on your earnings, so from the US-bank perspective the address is just a place to send the mail to. However, if you're also a German/EU taxpayer - you should check their laws and regulations wrt reporting of gains and tax payment.

From US-tax perspective it will be better for you to keep your investments in the US. Foreign investments are taxed more aggressively and at higher rates by the US.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.