The IRS has had my passport for 120 days, and I haven't gotten it back. When I call them, they ask me to wait. I have to go somewhere soon and my visa status needs to be changed too. What should I do? Will they give me letter saying they have lost it so that I can apply for the new one?

I have asked them about this several times and every time they reply saying "I'm sorry ma'am but we can not do anything in this matter" and when I ask them to give me the location or phone number of the IRS office in Austin, they say "We cannot do that."

marked as duplicate by littleadv, John Bensin, Chris W. Rea Aug 30 '13 at 22:32

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • 1
    Why does the IRS have your passport? Since you mentioned Austin, I presume you're applying for an ITIN. If that's the case, have you seen this question? – John Bensin Aug 30 '13 at 20:33
  • Yes, I have already seen that question. I m worried about for long should I wait? Because every time, they say it is 30 days and they would do something about it. I m afraid that what if my original passport arrives the day I file for new one. – user11095 Aug 30 '13 at 21:02
  • Thanks for replying. They have my passport because i had applied for itin no. – user11095 Aug 30 '13 at 21:03
  • @user11095 if original arrives the day you file for new one - you just surrender the original to your consulate. It will be cancelled anyway. – littleadv Aug 30 '13 at 21:26
  • oh okay.......But all my visa stamps are there on the original one. It will be a whole lot of trouble again when traveling. i hope to get my passport really soon. – user11095 Aug 30 '13 at 22:33

Browse other questions tagged .