What questions to ask a prospective employer when receiving a job offer?
There are many, given that this is a financial site, relevant questions would include (presuming they are not spelled out):
- Pay, overtime policy and regular working hours
- For some jobs - what are the on-call requirements, how is that compensated
- The generalities of the benefit plan (is there one)
- How does vacation accrue; does it go up with number of years?
Pay, overtime and on-call should all be in any comprehensive job offer. Vacation may be also. Good Luck
Ask for a copy of all documents you will be required to sign as a condition of employment. Intellectual property and non-compete agreements (depending upon jurisdiction) may have a significant impact on your future employability that overshadow the current offer.
- If there is a retirement / pension or other type of investment plan.
- What kind of plan is it? How is money added to the plan?
- When are you eligible for the plan?
- What types of matching, if any, are available?
- When are you fully vested in the plan?
If there are stock options, what are the requirements for that plan?
What sort of perks like association discounts are there? Can you save money on your gym membership?
Is there a credit union?
What is the pay schedule? (so you can make sure you can still meet your bills on time)
- When do you get your first paycheck? I have a job where you get paid about a week after the pay period, so the first month on the job I didn't get a check.