I am a Canadian citizen but I married an American and live as a legal resident in the US. My husband supports us and I did not bring in any taxable income in 2012. Do I need to file a Canadian return? If I make money in 2013, will I need to file in Canada at that point?

  • The answer may depend on other factors not disclosed. When did you leave Canada? Do you maintain any ties to Canada, e.g. drivers' license, health card, property, investments of any kind? – Chris W. Rea Apr 12 '13 at 20:10
  • OP here. I left Canada in January of 2012. I have a Canadian passport, but no health card, driver's license, property, or investments. – signothetimes Apr 12 '13 at 22:40

If you have non Residency status in Canada you don't need to file Canadian tax return. To confirm your status you need to contact Canada Revenue (send them letter, probably to complete some form).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.