I am a graduate student and my health insurance is paid by the university. I had an emergency visit and few subsequent doctor's visit in last financial year which were not covered by the insurance and I paid for them. Can I claim this for tax deductions? I am here on F1 visa from India.


Non-residents cannot deduct medical expenses.

But as an Indian, because of the US-India tax treaty, you can take a standard deduction. I'm not sure if you can claim medical expenses deduction under the treaty when itemizing (check with a professional who's specializing on US-India tax treaty).

  • Emergency visit and subsequent drs visits... OP might have meant non-resident alien. – amit_g Mar 30 '13 at 18:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.