Lots of governments accept donations from members of the public. For example, I know the government of Ontario accepts donations through the Ontario Opportunities Fund. I also know that the US federal government accepts donations, even by credit card.

But how can I make a charitable donation to the Government of Canada? (Not that I should.)

  • Cool! I didn't know about that, Thanks! – littleadv Feb 4 '13 at 21:47
  • @littleadv: You're welcome. But -- you actually want to donate money to your government? Why? – unforgettableidSupportsMonica Feb 4 '13 at 21:53
  • Oh, I think I donate enough. More than enough in fact:) But its still cool to know that an option exist, IIRC we actually had a question about it here a while ago and no-one knew this answer. – littleadv Feb 4 '13 at 21:55
  • @littleadv: Was the question specifically about donating money to the Canadian federal government? Also, if you can find it, mind to please provide a link? – unforgettableidSupportsMonica Feb 4 '13 at 22:06
  • It was to the US government, I'll look it up later. – littleadv Feb 4 '13 at 22:46

The relevant page of the CRA's 2016 General Income Tax and Benefit Guide explains how to donate money to the federal debt servicing and reduction account. The guide writes:

To make a gift to this account, make it payable to the Receiver General, and send it with a note asking that we apply it to this account, to:

Place du Portage
Phase III, 11 Laurier Street
Gatineau, Quebec
K1A 0S5

Donations are tax-deductible: they'll send you a tax receipt.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.