Lots of governments accept donations from members of the public. For example, I know the government of Ontario accepts donations through the Ontario Opportunities Fund. I also know that the US federal government accepts donations, even by credit card.

But how can I make a charitable donation to the Government of Canada? (Not that I should.)

  • Cool! I didn't know about that, Thanks!
    – littleadv
    Commented Feb 4, 2013 at 21:47
  • @littleadv: You're welcome. But -- you actually want to donate money to your government? Why? Commented Feb 4, 2013 at 21:53
  • Oh, I think I donate enough. More than enough in fact:) But its still cool to know that an option exist, IIRC we actually had a question about it here a while ago and no-one knew this answer.
    – littleadv
    Commented Feb 4, 2013 at 21:55
  • @littleadv: Was the question specifically about donating money to the Canadian federal government? Also, if you can find it, mind to please provide a link? Commented Feb 4, 2013 at 22:06
  • It was to the US government, I'll look it up later.
    – littleadv
    Commented Feb 4, 2013 at 22:46

1 Answer 1


The relevant page of the CRA's 2016 General Income Tax and Benefit Guide explains how to donate money to the federal debt servicing and reduction account. The guide writes:

To make a gift to this account, make it payable to the Receiver General, and send it with a note asking that we apply it to this account, to:

Place du Portage
Phase III, 11 Laurier Street
Gatineau, Quebec
K1A 0S5

Donations are tax-deductible: they'll send you a tax receipt.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .