I'm currently employed by a US company and I'm working remotely from the UK (I'm a UK resident).

In my previous employment tax was deducted automatically from wage however tax isn't being deducted from my current US employer.

I called HMRC for advise but they weren't very helpful, telling me to send them a letter explaining the situation and couldn't assist further.

I thought it would be a simple case of filing for self assessment but on the phone HMRC didn't think self assessment would be the correct course of action.

Also I'm not on a fixed monthly wage. I get paid depending how much I decide to work from week to week, which can vary.

Any help would be appreciated so I can finally pay my taxes.

  • Did you write HMRC the letter they requested? Commented Dec 31, 2012 at 20:51
  • Not yet, I had a word with my old employer's accountant and he said that he will take a look at my contract first because it sounds to him like I can just file self-assessment and HMRC take weeks to reply.
    – Undefined
    Commented Jan 1, 2013 at 4:33
  • I'm in a similar situation, but I'm also a student. I would want to know a definite answer in order to avoid any issues with taxes.
    – achudars
    Commented Mar 17, 2014 at 11:45

1 Answer 1


It is important to determine if you are self employeed. Some of the pointers can be, when you are working for the US Company what does your appointment letter / contract say? Do you submit invoice before getting paid?

If you are freelancing, then you are self employed and will have to pay tax on your own.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .