I have ordered goods from U.S. to France. I know I will have to pay the VAT and I'm ok with this. My concern is the following:

I'm a long-term visitor of France, I'm a citizen of Czech Republic. Does it make any difference? Where I have to pay the tax? How is such a package delivered?

I suppose I'll get a "voucher" in the post box and I'll have to go somewhere (to a Tax Office / Post Office ... ?). However, I'd like to know the details so that I know what to be prepared for.

  • 1
    The fact that you don't live on a permanent basis in France means that you must have travelled there. Hence the question could be on topic here ...
    – Marcel C.
    Nov 26, 2012 at 21:04
  • @MarcelC. You could move this to Meta but this question is not travel related as per FAQ
    – Karlson
    Nov 26, 2012 at 21:48

1 Answer 1


In Sweden where I am then answer is that you pay the VAT (and if needed import duty) in Sweden, and it is the postal service that manages that process so you just get a voucher in the mail asking you to prove the value of the item and a description of what it is, and then you get a new voucher when this is done with details on how much to pay.

Looking here it seems like the same deal. The important part for paying duty is importing into the country.

If you know french then the French Customs website might even be better than the first link.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .