I have website for which I have set up a sponsorship scheme for (see my profile if you're interested). With this scheme, some individual or company can choose to sponsor X or Y amount and that gives them an advertising block on my website for Z months.

I have had an inquiry for sponsorship of the site, which is nice. However the question came up over the tax implications for the transaction, so I thought I'd ask it here.

Goods and services sold in the UK are currently subject to 15% VAT. If the purchaser is based outside the UK (in this case Canada), how does it work?

  • Do I still charge the VAT and the customer claims it back from their local tax office?
  • Do I charge without VAT and the customer is liable?
  • Some other option?

Does the situation change depending on the countries involved, or is it covered by some international law?


After a bit of rooting around the HMRC sites, I found this page which says this:

One key difference is that digitised products are classed as electronically-supplied services for VAT and customs duties. These services are:

  • downloaded software
  • downloaded images, text or information
  • electronic publications
  • downloaded music, films and games
  • electronic auctions
  • supply of websites or web-hosting services

For VAT purposes, the place of supply of these services is the country in which the customer lives.

If you supply electronic services to a business customer in another European Union (EU) country, the customer accounts for any VAT due in that country. You should not charge UK VAT.

If you supply electronic services to a consumer, charity or government body in another EU country, you have to account for UK VAT.

If you supply electronic services to anyone in a country outside the EU, you don't pay any VAT.

If, as a UK business, you buy electronic services from a company outside the UK, you have to account for VAT.

If I read this correctly, I as the supplier of the website need to account for VAT only if the sponsor is a consumer, charity or government body in another EU country.

It is not covered in this site, but I assume I must also account for VAT for a customer based in the UK.

So in answer to the original question, a customer from Canada (which is currently outside the EU) would account for the VAT themselves, and I would simply charge the gross amount.

| improve this answer | |
  • So that means that the supplier is exempt from the VAT but does that mean that Canadian consumer must still remit VAT to the U.K.? – Zephyr Nov 30 '09 at 3:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.