Let's say for someone who has modest ordinary income this year, but next year expects significantly more income - is it possible to defer usage of capital loss to the next year? Or, is this person required to use all $3000 of capital loss in current year if income in current year was $3000 or more?

1 Answer 1


You cannot defer it. But, if your total taxable income after the deduction ends up being negative - you get a NOL (net operating loss) which you can carry forward to the next year.

If you are asking about deferring to the next year to get a higher marginal tax benefit then no, you cannot do that.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .