I filed my own taxes unaware that I could be and apparently was being claimed as a dependent, so it's been brought to my attention that the Head of Household could have a higher standard deduction than previously because I filed as a non-dependent. Is there any way I can amend my return to, in a manner of speaking, undo any additional deductions I may have inadvertently added?

  • 2
    File an amended return.
    – keshlam
    Apr 2 at 4:33
  • 3
    Of course you should check that you do indeed meet the rules to be a dependent, and evaluate the overall impact it may have on your taxes.
    – jcaron
    Apr 2 at 13:05
  • I'm 20, work part time, but I'm not enrolled in any school. I don't pay any of the household expenses at the moment either, so could I still qualify?
    – Ben Connor
    Apr 2 at 15:33
  • 4
    @BenConnor: Go through this document and compare it to your circumstances.
    – Kevin
    Apr 2 at 15:50

1 Answer 1


In order to amend a mistake on your tax return you file... an amended tax return. Here's the IRS page on amending returns, with links to all the related information and instructions you might need.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .