What is the collective name / term given to the part of a currency value before and after the point?

e.g. $123.99

So in the example above I'm after the name of the part '123' and the name of the part '99'.

Many thanks.


A more generic definition applying to all currency denominations would be:

  • Main currency: for the whole unit currency part left of the decimal point
  • Fractional currency: for the part to the right of the decimal point usually measured in 1/100 of the main unit (at least in modern times).

For more information, please see Wikipedia - Currency: Control and production:

Each currency typically has a main currency unit (the U.S. dollar, for example, or the euro) and a fractional currency, often valued at 1⁄100 of the main currency [...]


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.