I had an HSA with an HDHP with a former employeer. I left that company and now have a traditional health insurance plan.

Should I continue to contribute to my old HSA account? Are there any tax consequences of using the money in that account toward current medical expenses? Should I add my new spouse to the plan?


You should not continue contributing, as you're no longer qualified for it. You can keep it, and use the money in it toward the current medical expenses, without a problem. There are specific examples in pub 969.

| improve this answer | |
  • It is possible his new traditional plan meets the guidelines for being an hdhp, right? – Bishop Apr 15 '15 at 15:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.