99% of my entire net worth is denominated in USD, and I only trade in USD stocks & bonds.

Does Canadian capital gains tax only trigger when I attempt to convert those gains/losses into CAD? In other words, can I continue trading indefinitely, year after year, solely in USD without concern for the CRA, and only when I try to convert it into CAD will the capital gains trigger for that particular year?

Can anyone shed some light on how much I am supposed to pay the CRA?

1 Answer 1


It doesn't matter what currency you trade in or barter, if you liquidated a position - you recognize the gain. See the CRA guidance here. To handle USD transactions, use this CRA guidance on currency conversions.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .