My new employer offers the Mega Backdoor Roth option. After-tax contributions can be automatically & immediately converted to Roth within the 401(k), and can be rolled over to a Roth IRA at any time. I just did the Roth 401(k) to Roth IRA rollover for the first time.

The 401(k) provider (Fidelity) sent me a paper "Distribution Statement" in the mail for this transaction, listing the amount that was transferred to my Roth IRA. Will I need to keep this for tax filing purposes, either when filing for this year or for when I eventually withdraw the funds from the Roth IRA? Or should the broker capture all the relevant information in an end-of-year tax form they will provide?

  • Ask Fidelity. I would expect a year-end statement, but I wouldn't assume it without checking.
    – keshlam
    Apr 3, 2023 at 16:27

1 Answer 1


You should receive a 1099-R for the conversion from after-tax to Roth after the year end. You can keep this statement to make sure the numbers match, as you'd do with any other bank statement.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .