Say if I were to remotely work for an American company, I'd be paid in dollars. To have a place to keep those dollars I'd need a American bank account, but for that I have to have a permanent address which I don't have.

I want to hold money in dollars to invest in the american stock market and also as currency in where I live is devaluing.

How am I to proceed? I only have an account in the country I currently live in

  • 2
    Why can't you receive USD payments in your country of residence? And if you live outside the US - why do you need USD necessarily, wouldn't local currency be better?
    – littleadv
    Jan 16, 2023 at 19:03
  • 3
    Talk to an international bank that can handle accounts in multiple currencies. Open a USD account. Solved?
    – keshlam
    Jan 16, 2023 at 20:54
  • Use your parents address? Sibling or other relative’s address? That’s what i’d suggest if one of my children want to work overseas. My grandparents were always my uncle’s “official”address, no matter where he lived.
    – RonJohn
    Jan 17, 2023 at 3:51
  • 1
    @RonJohn Are you sure this is legal?
    – Philipp
    Jan 17, 2023 at 12:09
  • @Philipp why not? Whole companies have been formed around providing "wanderers" with a stable address, and these are your family (the place you'd reasonably go when you return before finding a new place to live).
    – RonJohn
    Jan 17, 2023 at 20:41

1 Answer 1


Most consumer banks offer foreign currency accounts. That's a separate bank account that maintains its balance in a foreign currency and can be used to receive and make international payments in that currency without conversion fees and without any risks due to currency fluctuations. Unless, of course, your country of residence is under banking sanctions by the US government. In that case it might be very difficult for you to receive any payments in US$. Also, banks tend to charge higher service fees for foreign currency accounts. And if you want to transfer money into your usual bank account in local currency, you will of course have to pay conversion fees.

Ask your local banks for their offers regarding foreign currency accounts.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .