If the specific US brokers matter, securities would move from Fidelity to Charles Schwab.

1 Answer 1


It is technically possible through the DTCC's CBRS or manually. Whether your brokerages support that - you'll have to ask them. Most major brokerages should be able to support the automated reporting (especially if they already use the ACATS for the account transfer itself).

  • 1
    If they don't support it for purchases after about 2011-2015 (depending on type) they're breaking the law. This requirement was enacted during the great recession in 2008/9, but implemented in phases presumably to reduce burden. I remember several years when my 1099 package included a long explanation about 'changes to basis [and term] reporting effective this year'. My brokers' webites, and some of their statements, designate 'covered' and 'uncovered' (before 2011-ish) holdings. Oct 21, 2022 at 2:36
  • 1
    @dave_thompson_085 that's right. I believe both CBRS and ACATS are legally (or, at least, regulatory) required, but I couldn't find any actual reference to any such law so I didn't put it in the answer.
    – littleadv
    Oct 21, 2022 at 3:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .