I am filing my federal return as Married Joint and two state returns, one as married joint and one as married separate. This is due to one spouse living/working in the second state for part of the year. The state of Virginia is the state where only one spouse worked and I checked with their state laws and this is allowed.

Questions: Do I include both spouse's W2's with that return or only the one with Virinia taxes witheld/paid since they will have the federal return in the envelope with it that shows both spouse's incomes?


1 Answer 1


Generally, you only need to include W-2s with a state tax return if it shows withholding of that state's tax. So if only one W-2 shows Virginia tax withheld, only that one needs to be included with the Virginia tax return.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.