When my father passed away the funeral home didn't notify the Social Security Administration. He received 2 direct deposits before we noticed. I had the bank send these back. We received a letter asking why the payments were returned with a phone number to call: 866-397-4239 (post-entitlement). I have called many times over 3 days, nobody will answer the phone. I have left messages, but nobody has returned my call.

I called the normal SSA number (800-772-1213) and they said that since the payments were returned in 2022, they won't issue a corrected SSA-1099 for 2021. When I persisted, they said that they would do me a "favor" and submit a special request, no promises though. Near zero chance of this helping IMO.

  1. I could write off the tax for the extra month of payment. If I was the only heir, this would be an acceptable choice to me. A few hundred dollars is not worth fighting for hours and hours.

  2. I could subtract the returned payment from the 1099 amount on the tax return. I have a receipt from the bank. However, the IRS may reject the return and I would need to ammend the return. (my experience with the IRS has not been good)

Any other suggestions?

1 Answer 1


I called the local Social Security office to make an appointment. They weren't taking appointments due to Covid, but they fixed it for me! I got a corrected SSA-1099 in the mail. The moral of the story when dealing with government agencies. Try different approaches when one fails.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.