I'm starting full-time remote employment with a US company soon, and they asked me to fill up the W-8BEN form. So what should I fill up on the part of Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits? I found that NZ has a Tax Treaty with US, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/newzld.pdf, but I still have no clue what I'm looking at

  • Why country will you be physically located in when you work?
    – user102008
    Oct 3, 2021 at 7:21
  • @user102008 New Zealand, as mentioned above, although I'm Malaysia citizen Oct 3, 2021 at 11:02
  • Did you find an answer for this? I am in the same situation and the best advice I could find was here - upenn.edu/pennpress/about/taxforms.html But I still don't know what the tax rate is for NZ on personal income? And what article to refer to in the tax treaty document. Here is also a useful video on how to fill it out (although again not for NZ residents) youtube.com/watch?v=rFZVwEUHRqg
    – user123456
    Mar 21, 2022 at 1:28

1 Answer 1


I believe you don't need to fill out the part on Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits. If you are not a US citizen or resident alien for US tax purposes, and you are not working in the US, your income should not be subject to US tax, and thus there would be no need to claim any tax treaty benefits for US tax purposes.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .