I am owed money from the IRS and live in Sweden.

They sent me a check but I live in Sweden and it is very expensive to cash a foreign check here (or any check for that matter).

On my tax return I filled in my US bank account and clearing numbers (it is an account with Wise) but for whatever reason they ignored them and sent me a check to my address in Sweden instead.

Is there any way to cancel that check and instead get it as a deposit in the bank account?

  • Will you owe taxes next year? It might be simpler to just allow the balance to be applied to your next bill. As I understand it, the IRS won't do direct deposit to foreign banks, but it is odd that they would not deposit to your US bank account. I would call or write to ask for an explanation, and to request that the money be deposited according to your instructions.
    – chepner
    Sep 9 at 16:26
  • 1
    Since you have a US bank account, can't you simply endorse the check and mail it to the bank? Indeed, I understand that there are cell phone apps that will let you deposit a check by taking a picture of it. Search for "mobile check deposit".
    – jamesqf
    Sep 9 at 16:44
  • 1
    When you say "US Account", to clarify do you mean 'Bank account in the US" or "USD account with a bank in Sweden"? Sep 9 at 16:57
  • @Grade 'Eh' Bacon a bank account in the US is what I mean
    – Cameron
    Sep 9 at 18:24
  • 2
    @Cameron Ah, I wonder if the IRS does not consider that a domestic account, then.
    – chepner
    Sep 9 at 18:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.