I've been in the UK for the past 4 years and I have a pre-settled status. I am currently an employee but I'm considering switching to freelancing/sole-trading to start working with a company abroad.

  1. Am I allowed / Are there any limitations given that I don't have neither a fully settled status nor citizenship?
  2. Are there any limitations if as a sole trader I work for an EU company?

Would any potential limitations be lifted if I instead register for a limited company?

2 Answers 2


If you have pre-settled status, you have employment and self-employment rights that are the same as British citizens:

You’ll be able to:

  • work in the UK
  • [...]


Do make sure that you continue to accumulate evidence of your UK residence while self-employed. Obviously you won't be able to rely on your employment records any more but there are plenty of other things like council tax bills.


Unless your visa status prevents you from working independently in the UK, you can follow the steps to become a sole trader on this government page.

It shouldn't matter who your customers are (UK, EU or other).

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .