I am a minor (16 years old) and I won $5000 from a research competition. My teacher informed me I have to pay taxes on this - is there some way to calculate how much I'd have to pay? I live in the USA.

  • 2
    What country? Tax related questions require a country tag. May 22, 2021 at 2:09
  • USA. I edited the question May 22, 2021 at 2:09
  • 1
    If it is the only income you get this year, the tax is zero. There is a minimum income before taxes kick in, somewhere above 12k.
    – Aganju
    May 22, 2021 at 2:55
  • It's the only income I got this year but if i recall correctly, it is not earned income - it is unearned income so I think different rules may apply. May 22, 2021 at 2:56

2 Answers 2


According to the Interactive Tax Assistant, you will have to file a return:

Do I need to file a tax return?

You are required to file a tax return for 2020. Your return's gross income is equal to, or exceeds, $1,100. File your return [via paper mail, or] electronically using one of the following four options:

  • Use IRS Free File (for certain low-income taxpayers) or Fillable Forms
  • Use a Free Tax Return Preparation Site
  • Use Commercial Software
  • Find an Authorized e-File Provider

IRS is not saying you must e-file. You can always file by paper mail: download the 1040 and other relevant forms, fill them out in ink or inside your PDF viewer, print and mail.

Your parents also have to file Form 8615, because:

Form 8615 must be filed for any child who meets all of the following conditions.

  1. The child had more than $2,200 of unearned income.
  2. The child is required to file a tax return.
  3. through 5. (blah blah, the child is a normal dependent)
  • This addresses filing requirement, but doesn't answer the question of how much tax. Yes when you file you'll learn how much you owe, but it doesn't need to be a mystery up until that point.
    – Hart CO
    May 22, 2021 at 4:32
  • @HartCO Without knowing the parent's top rate there's no way to compute the taxes. May 22, 2021 at 5:07
  • @LorenPechtel Yes, they will have to disclose that to OP. I've not dealt with tax returns for dependents in a long time, but based on what I recall it looks like for 2020 OP would pay parent's top marginal rate * $2,800 + $110, those figures might be different for 2021 but that's a good starting point.
    – Hart CO
    May 22, 2021 at 14:33
  • The part you quoted makes it sound like you have to file electronically. That is not true. IRS wrote that language at a time when most people filed on paper and so knew that, IRS is trying to promote e-filing by making people aware of those alternatives. Edit submitted. May 22, 2021 at 21:35

As it doesn't seem like the award fits with IRS Topic No. 421 Scholarships, Fellowship Grants, and Other Grants),

Your research award will most likely be reported on a 1099-MISC. The tax paperwork like W-2 will be sent to you in late January/early February in the next tax year.

The big issue is that if you are being claimed as a dependent by your parents/guardians:

From: IRS Tax Topics 551 - Dependents

Dependents – If you can be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer, your standard deduction for 2020 is limited to the greater of: (1) $1,100, or (2) your earned income plus $350 (but the total can't be more than the basic standard deduction for your filing status).

Note the above stated earned income which usually comes on a W-2 (part-time or summer job). So you won't be able to use the 'basic standard deduction' for a single taxpayer ($12,400 in 2020) if being claimed as a dependent.

As you are under 18 and made more than $2,200, Form 8615 - Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income applies so how much your parents/guardians earn affects how much tax you pay.

  • Unearned income above 2,200 will be taxed at the parents top rate..
    – Hart CO
    May 22, 2021 at 4:29
  • @HartCO Thanks. Missed that. May 22, 2021 at 4:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.