This is similar to another question (here)... but I'm not sure if the answer is the same.

I work in the oilfield and I mine cryptocurrency. Because of the current crypto bull cycle the income from each is roughly the same in 2021 to-date. Combined, it will be far exceed the cap.

I was stressing to create an LLC with an S-corp tax election to limit my tax liability. But if my SE Tax will be limited due to exceeding the cap I don't believe I have to concern myself with the LLC this year.

Is this addressed in the 1040 schedules, or would I have to pay in and then file Form 843?


Self-Employment Tax (like FICA tax) consists of Social Security tax and Medicare tax. The Social Security tax part of it is capped (for 2020 at $137,700) along with the Social Security tax withheld from your job, and this is reflected in 2020 form 1040 Schedule SE lines 7-10.

The Medicare tax part of Self-Employment Tax is not capped (and in fact at sufficiently high incomes you have to pay Additional Medicare Tax).

  • Right. To be explicit, filling out schedule SE with your tax return will prevent you from needing to file form 843 later. Schedule SE uses your wage income from the 1040 and your self-employment income from schedule C. Separate note: As a sole proprietor, you could get a tax break for qualified business income, as well: irs.gov/newsroom/qualified-business-income-deduction – Orange Coast- reinstate Monica May 4 at 4:41
  • I wish things weren't so complicated, Lol. #1 I may be over the phase-out limit of $207,500 by year's end if the crypto market holds up. #2... Even the IRS is not specific sometimes, in exception 2 for determining eligibility, "dealing in certain assets", is stated as a reason for exclusion in their "Facts About QBI Deduction" webpage. Thank you for the input. Definitely will look further into it. Feather in the cap for the future regardless. :) – Nolan Robidoux May 5 at 1:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.