I'm a green card holder in the US and a citizen of Brazil.

I work from home in the US for an American company, with an American contract. I don't report any income in Brazil and don't receive my salary in a Brazilian bank account.

I would love to go to Brazil for 3 months per year. I understand how the taxation would work in Brazil, but I'm wondering if anything needs to change in the US? Do I need to report this trip when I file my income tax the next year, or can I just consider my taxes the same way as if I was living in the US the whole year? (ps.: I wouldn't go for more tha 180 days per year)

  • Would you be working for a Brazilian employer, or simply working remotely for a US employer?
    – jamesqf
    Commented Mar 12, 2021 at 0:07
  • US employer, working remotely Commented Mar 12, 2021 at 15:44

1 Answer 1


Green card holders must declare their worldwide income on their US tax return. After declaring it, though, you won't necessarily be double taxed if you have already paid foreign tax on that income.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .