I filed my 2019 tax return, but realised that I omitted about $40 of account interest. My account has said it'll cost $1000+tax to make the amendment. I'd rather just give IRS the whole $40. Is there anyway to do this?

  • Honestly for such a small amount, I wouldn’t waste the IRS’s time and yours. It will cost them far more than $10 to process your amended return. If they do happen to send you a bill, you can pay the tax along with the tiny penalty and interest. (But they won’t.)
    – prl
    Mar 5, 2021 at 6:17
  • 1
    How complicated is your tax situation, that a extra 1099-int causes a massive change? What documents/files do you have from your accountant? Mar 5, 2021 at 13:26

1 Answer 1


Do it yourself and mail it in: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

Enclose a check made out to "U.S. Treasury" for the amount on line 20 of form 1040-X, "Amount You Owe."

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .