I participated in a funeral service and was given a $100 check for doing so. Is that considered income (i.e. Other Income) on federal income taxes or is it treated as a gift?

The check was written from the business. The funeral home says they do not produce a 1099.

  • 3
    Was this from the family, or, the Funeral Parlor business ? – Fattie Mar 2 at 19:44

You were paid $100 by a US business. Therefore you should report it on your tax return. If this was in 2020, then report it on the tax return to be submitted in April 2021; if you received the money in 2021 then it will be on the form you submit in April 2022.

The company will not generally send you a 1099 if the total compensation is less than $600.

Note: if your total income from all sources is small enough you might not have to file a return.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.