I am required to file 8938 as I am filing jointly with my wife. She has 2 foreign account in her home country. On 8938, the first items are:

Name(s) shown on return.

should this be both our names like "John Doe & Jane Doe" or just her name "Jane Doe".


Should this be my SSN or Her SSN/TIN?

The instructions state:

Lines 1 and 2 Enter your name(s) and TIN as shown on the annual return you are filing with Form 8938. If you are a specified individual (see Specified Individual, earlier), enter the first TIN shown on your income tax return. A TIN is a social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). In the case of a specified domestic entity (see Specified Domestic Entity, earlier), enter the entity’s employer identification number (EIN)

  • I am assuming both our names go in the name field and the "first tin/ssn" is possibly my tin goes into the TIN field. – SmartY Feb 26 at 22:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.