I last worked for this company in August of 2019. I am trying to file my taxes for 2020. I received a W-2 for 2020 because I received a direct deposit from this company in March of 2020. I believe this happened because I was an hourly employee whose timesheet needed to be approved by their manager. I believe some of my hours sat in limbo for seven months. I don't have any inside contacts at this company and they have 100,000 employees (very bureaucratic). This employer is in another state (CA) so I would prefer not to file another state tax return. How should I proceed?

  • Please add a state tag. Is there a threshold in that state for filing a tax return, as is the amount under that? If not, the only answer we can give you is to follow the law.
    – RonJohn
    Feb 5, 2021 at 2:23
  • 2
    Just to be clear: Your old employer gave you one last pay deposit in 2020, and you just got a W-2 for it. The issue you have is that they withheld CA income tax, and you don’t want to file a CA tax return. Does that accurately describe your situation?
    – Ben Miller
    Feb 6, 2021 at 4:36
  • Yes that's correct. Feb 6, 2021 at 23:01

1 Answer 1


A giant company will have a dedicated payroll department that can likely fix the 2020 error, if it is an error. But they won't make the income disappear; they'll just move the income to 2019. You then might have to file amended 2019 returns.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .