What evidence do I need to declare tutoring income on the Canadian federal income tax form?
I am doing tutoring with students and want to declare it.
Can I make copies of the checks I receive?

  • 3
    Sure, copies of checks. But also keep a notebook of dates/names/money received. In the States, the IRS will be happy people are claiming income many will try to avoid declaring. – JTP - Apologise to Monica Feb 16 '12 at 5:30
  • 2
    I have rental income and simply use a duplicate receipt book. – DJClayworth Feb 16 '12 at 15:21

I have been a private tutor on and off for about 30 years, in three countries, so I understand your concerns!

I always kept records as though it was a real business - even if I only had one student I kept records of dates/times/names, and also tracked where the money went (I never spent it straight up - it always got deposited to complete the paper trail; yes, this is paranoia on my part).

I've never been asked to prove anything with regards this income (although I have no Canadian experience). It's always been a case of tell the tax folks and make sure my arse is covered if they come asking questions. Hope this helps.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.