I understand that:

  • A Roth 401(k) may be rolled over to a Roth IRA if older than 59.5-year-old or if leaving one's job.
  • It is possible to do in-service distributions from an after-tax 401(k) to a Roth IRA or Roth 401(k) when employed, if the employer's retirement plan allows it.

Can a Roth 401(k) be rolled over / in-service distributed / transferred somehow to a Roth IRA if younger than 59.5-year-old and not leaving one's job?


1 Answer 1


There are no legal restrictions that keep you from rolling any amount over, and there are no tax consequences.

The question is only if the employer's plan allows it. That - obviously - depends on the specific employer's plans details. Some allow it and some not.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .