I would like to open a LLC in the US in order to have access to some online brokers, like Interactive Brokers and Robinhood. I understand I will need to file an annual report with the state (Wyoming for example) and pay $52 fee. However the tax reporting is really confusing.

From what I understand I don't have to pay capital gains tax, because I will be paying it in my home country. For dividends the brokers withhold 30% tax, so I don't have to do anything there either. But:

  1. Do I have to file a yearly tax return?
  2. Do I have to file quarterly estimated tax?

If yes, is that something people generally do themselves, or is it almost required to pay a professional to do it?

I'm a non-resident alien, I don't plan travelling to the US.


1 Answer 1


LLCs still pay taxes

Non-resident aliens also pay taxes to the US

There is no getting around paying taxes in the U.S. if you transact here. Dividends and stock buying/selling are generally very public activities. There will be public records of the publicly traded companies sending you a check or depositing into your account. Even if you manage to evade paying taxes the first time, the IRS can seize future earnings, so any tax dodge will be sort-lived.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.