I recently shutdown my Solo 401(K) plan at E*Trade. I plan to file form 5500EZ. I have distributed the money to a traditional IRA and a Roth IRA. None of the money went into another 401(K) plan.

Do I need to file form 5310? I believe the answer is no, but I want to be sure.

I am in the United States.

Here is some more information:

For more information about form 5310 you can look here:

I believe form 5310 is required when two companies merge and each company has its own 401(K). I also believe that it is required when you terminate a plan and require the assets of the plan be distributed to another 401(K) plan.

Recall that when a 401(K) plan is terminated, all participants must be vested.

However, I am not sure of my facts that is why I asked the question.

  • 1
    Where did you get the idea that you would need to? I have a Solo 401(k) but I have only heard of the need to file Form 5500-EZ.
    – Craig W
    Dec 30 '20 at 16:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.