I repaid 500 on 2010 Tax return for the 2008 First-Time Homebuyers credit, but do I have to pay 500 on each return or just make sure it is paid of within 15 years. For example, can I chose to pay 0 this year (2011) and pay 1000 next year?


As long as you live in the house (its your primary residence), you must pay $500 a year, no skipping.

Once you sell, or rent out - you must repay in full the remaining amount.

IRS pub on that.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks, I also called the IRS and confirmed this as well. – Xaisoft Feb 7 '12 at 19:05
  • Wow.. did not know it was considered an interest-free loan! – CheckRaise Feb 7 '12 at 21:06
  • @CheckRaise only for purchases in 2008. If you bought your home during 2009 and 2010 and got the credit - you do not need to pay it back. – littleadv Feb 7 '12 at 21:08
  • Ah, a year makes all the difference! Whew! – CheckRaise Feb 7 '12 at 21:21
  • I don't understand how they can call it a credit and make you pay it back :( – Xaisoft Feb 8 '12 at 14:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.