I live in England and have a flat in Scotland that I now want to rent out. I am a higher rates tax payer. What is my best option for maximising the money I keep after tax from this rental property? There are options like registering a company to manage the property, etc. besides just simple individual income.

Please note I am aware of all the risks of renting out a property. This question is purely about maximising the amount I keep.

  • Do you have a mortgage on the property or is it owned outright? Also, how much of a capital gain would there be on the property if you sold it/transferred it into a company? – timday Nov 1 '20 at 12:15
  • 1
    @timday No mortgage. Owned outright. There would be virtually no capital gain at the moment. – Aleks G Nov 1 '20 at 12:16
  • 1
    The prevailing view at the moment (see websites like Property118, for example) is that if you already own just one property yourself, it's generally not worth transferring it to a company. – Steve Melnikoff Nov 1 '20 at 14:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.