A lot of the [scams] questions involve a reversible deposit followed by a non-reversible withdrawal.

A common method is a bouncing check that can take over a month to bounce.

As the recipient of a deposit that might be invalid, is there a way to request that you back confirm or certify the deposit? Alternatively, can you ask them to ringfence the funds until they are confirmed?

This is a hypothetical situation for me, but it seems there are others who might benefit from knowing whether this is possible.

  • 3
    It is very dependent upon the bank.
    – Pete B.
    Oct 7, 2020 at 16:32
  • 1
    Don't accept payments by reversible methods. Particularly from strangers on the internet.
    – Steve-O
    Oct 8, 2020 at 18:29
  • 1
    Unfortunately, the US is stuck in the financial dark ages and a baffling number of people still pay for things with checks.
    – Dancrumb
    Oct 8, 2020 at 18:49


Browse other questions tagged .