Briefly, I am a U.S. citizen living in Poland. Recently, I was offered a paid remote position at a research group with a U.S. university. Due to the nature of the work, I can either be considered an employee of the university (W2) or an independent contractor (1099), and the employer has given me that choice. I want to avoid being double taxed.

If I go with W2, I know that the employer will withhold some income, and then with the remainder I will have to pay Polish tax. Later I can apply for a tax return from the U.S. under a foreign exclusion, correct?

Would a 1099 be better in that case, since I won't have to wait for a U.S. tax return next year?

Which would be better for me?

Some relevant info:

  • I am authorized to work in Poland
  • I do not expect to make more than $25k from this position

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.