I am helping a friend with some financial advice, but his situation is very unique. His mother (US Citizen) married a foreign national.
- He worked all his life as a merchant or in a restaurant he owned in a US State, but there are no records of social security being paid by him.
- She never worked.
- he passed away 17 years ago, so she had to start working. Doing beauty sales for Mary Kay or working with family - She worked for 8 years, receiving cash from her family, but never paying social security.
- now she is on age of retirement but there is no social security being recorded.
- my friend, whom I am trying to help, is broke.
- the state provides the basic welfare benefit, but that is barely enough
What are his options? Is there any type of insurance against these type of situations. Why is this allowed to happen?