I'm a resident of the United Kingdom, and I work remotely for a US company. I have a contract, and I get paid monthly, but I choose my own hours, usually working about 20 hours a week. I provided a W8-Ben form to the company that is paying me, and so far haven't been charged any taxes in the United States.

I receive my payments into a US transferwise account, and then transfer some into a UK bank account.

I'm unsure if I am classified as self employed or as a contractor for tax purposes. Do I need to set up a business as a sole trader (https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader) to correctly file my taxes?

Thanks for the help.

1 Answer 1


In a word, yes. You’re a sole trader and liable for UK income tax and National Insurance on this income — all of it, not just the money you’ve transferred to your UK account.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .