So I am an international student on F1 in California since Sep. 2018, and did a paid internship in New York in Summer 2019. Several questions:

  1. For federal tax return, do I just sum the income (and withheld tax) from the two states and report in form 1040-NR?
  2. For state tax return, do I fill the appropriate forms for both states (i.e. 540 and IT-203)?
  3. Do I have to report my NY income in my California tax return? (Or vice versa)
  4. Is there anything I should do to avoid double taxation? Any forms other than the ones I mentioned that I have to fill?

Thank you

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.